As a Historical Site, the house is interesting from a historical and architectural point of view. It was built between 1733 and 1735 by a member of the Meade family, a lineage of Irish descent, one of whose members was Joseph Murphy and Meade (a politician who achieved the capital of Santa Cruz for the Archipelago).
Their nephews, Nicolás and Patricio Estévanez Murphy, were regular residents of the property, and will be important figures in local and national culture and politics in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The former will lay the foundations of Canarian nationalism; the latter will stand out as a journalist. The latter’s son-in-law, Francisco Borges Salas, was a renowned painter and sculptor, who also lived in the mansion. The estate was bought from his heirs in 2007. The Cabildo of Tenerife is in charge of its restoration, which will be given a cultural use.
Its rooms have served as family accommodation, and for other historical figures such as Berthelot, O`Donnell, Blasco Ibañez or Coquet. Likewise, political gatherings have been held there, with Valentín Sanz, Agustín Guimera, Gil-Roldán, Teobaldo Power and Alfonso Dugour.
It is a large rural house and a wealthy hacienda, located in the Santa María de Gracia area, with a built area of 500 square metres and 12,000 square metres of land. The property has a U-shaped floor plan, with the most developed northern bay, and a paved courtyard open to the south. The upper floor has closed galleries, with small glass windows. The east façade has a closed balcony on the upper floor. As a highlight, a large vaulted cistern with a square rim.
The property is completed with a series of annexed rooms, some of which are of little heritage value, including the old stables or the studio of the artist Borges Salas.
On May 6, 2010, the Casa Borges-Estévanez de La Laguna was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, with the category of Historic Site.