Father Anchieta's House

In the 16th century the first owner of the original house was Lieutenant and Bachelor Nuño Núñez, first husband of Mencia Díaz de Clavijo. She married Juan de Anchieta, a notary public and juror from Tenerife, in her second marriage. These will be the parents of the universal Father José de de Anchieta, who gives his name to the property.

Fachada de la Casa de Anchieta
Main Facade

Although history has confirmed that this is not the birthplace of the Jesuit and missionary who went to Brazil to carry out his work of evangelization, it is known that he lived there for the first 14 years of his life. The descendants of the Anchieta family inherited the property and were related to the Castilla family at the end of the 17th century. It was also the house of the poet Manuel Verdugo (1877-1958); in 1962 it was occupied by ‘Virgen de Candelaria’ Hall of Residence and until 1987 it was the headquarters of the School of Actors of the Canary Islands.

The Casa de Anchieta is a traditional two-storey building with a tiled roof and a central courtyard with a side staircase in the second section. The house sits on a trapezoid-shaped plot and has three facades: the main facade facing the Plaza del Adelantado, where the access to the house and its most important rooms are located; the lateral facade facing the street Las Quinteras and the rear facade facing a small newly created square that was once the house’s vegetable garden.

The building we know is the result of a thorough municipal restoration carried out in the early years of this millennium. Its façade, in neoclassical style, is due to the reform carried out in 1905, with plans by the architect Mariano Estanga; and which replaced the asymmetry of the holes in the original building, which – on the other hand – can still be seen on the side façade that can be seen from Calle Quinteras.

Its interior was adapted in the 19th and 20th centuries to the uses of the building. But nowadays some elements from the 16th and 17th centuries are recognizable as being old, such as: load-bearing walls, roofs, roofs in pairs and knuckle, patio, and cellar in semi-basement.

On March 14, 1986, the House of Blessed Father Anchieta was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument of interest to the Autonomous Community.

Skip to content