Church of Nuestra Señora de La Concepción
It was the first temple to be founded in Tenerife, and therefore in La Laguna. Mother church from which all the others on the island have been developed. Oral and written tradition has it that the first mass took place there, on the feast of Corpus Christi, with the clergymen who accompanied the Adelantado Fernández de Lugo.
The oldest of the parish churches had a different location from the current one, possibly between Adelantado Street and Marqués de Celada Street. In 1511 it was decided to build a new temple with three naves, closer to the centre of the incipient Villa de Arriba. During the first 30 years of the 16th century, work was very slow and concentrated on the head of the church. They were completed in 1558, although it would undergo extensions over the following centuries.
The construction of the tower was equally eventful. After two constructions in 1577 and 1630, the definitive factory is from 1694 to 1697.
But the poor construction quality, the passing of time and the deficiencies in the maintenance of the building led to a complete rebuilding in 1738 and even later in 1778, under the direction of Diego Nicolás Eduardo. His intervention was centred on the main chapel and the head of the church.
After various construction changes, we now see a large temple with three naves separated by a semicircular archway on columns with a cylindrical shaft in red tufa and capitals with varied decoration: Gothic battens, vegetation or masks. The main chapel was modified at the end of the 18th century, when the old one was replaced by a new space covered by a ribbed vault.
The main doorway of the temple, on the Gospel side, shows a semicircular arch delimited by two smooth-shaft columns. The doorway on the Epistle side shows a similar design in a characteristic baroque language. The head of the temple was also modified at the end of the 18th century by Diego Nicolás Eduardo, who introduced neoclassical forms.
The tower is the emblematic element of the church. Made of stone and with a square base, it is topped by a small temple without a spire. At its base is the baptistery, covered by a ribbed vault of Gothic inspiration.
The collapse of the roof in 1972 brought with it an unfortunate restoration that eliminated the previous pavement and the modification of some holes. Since 2000, various restoration interventions have allowed its conservation and improvement.
On 25 June 1948 it was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument. On October 30, 2012 the declaration of Property of Cultural Interest includes an extension of the scope of protection of the property, as well as the incorporation of all the movable assets linked to the Church of La Concepción.