Cathedral of San Cristóbal de La Laguna

In the historic center, declared a World Heritage Site since 1999, emerges the cathedral of La Laguna. It has its origin in the sixteenth century after its construction as the church of Los Remedios and in 1819 when it was erected as the Cathedral. In the early twentieth century was completely rebuilt to its current state.

Iglesia catedral de San Cristóbal de la Laguna

Los Remedios began to be built in the second decade of the 16th century, by order of the Adelantado and the Cabildo of the Island, on a central site, in accordance with the urban planning regulations of the time. Its construction was haphazard, marked by long construction processes and sporadic ruins.

In the early nineteenth century Christopher Bencomo, King Ferdinand VII’s confessor, promoted the reconstruction of a new temple. He used the plans of Pamplona Cathedral as a reference, and Juan Nepomuceno Verdugo and Pedro Díaz designed a new building, which began to be erected in 1813. The result is the façade that we see today, which dates from 1820. At that time, the four western islands were separated from the Canary Islands’ Bishopric, and La Laguna received the Bull of Pius VII for the foundation of the Nivariense Diocese on 1 February 1818. This is the moment when the parish of Los Remedios is elevated to the rank of Cathedral.

Between 1820 and 1897 the Cathedral Church underwent widening, reforms and consolidations, until the cracking of its pillars caused it to be declared a ruin and it had to be closed for worship. The decision was made to build a new church, which was constructed between 1904 and 1915, with plans by the engineer José Rodrigo de Vallabriga, and where only the façade was rescued from the previous one. The interior aspect, with its high ribbed vaults, is the most striking; as is the ambulatory.

The Cathedral Church of San Cristobal de La Laguna was declared a National Historic and Artistic Monument on October 5, 1983. On May 24, 2007, the vault, the dome and the head of the pillars were disaffected, an essential condition to proceed with the current process of restoration of the building.

Skip to content